Sunday, October 16, 2011

Not All Cycling Maps Are Created Equal

Okay, so maybe calling it "chicken scratch" is a bit extreme, but this guide book for the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) is minimalist, for certain. The directions don't reference any landmarks along the road, and the map is just a simple line down the middle of the page, labelled "hwy 61" or some such thing. It's useful to a point, but then I find myself wondering what all the other roads are, and if there isn't a route perhaps a little shorter or less windy or wider than this one. While using this book for the past three days, I've doubted myself many times.

The MRT maps are so basic, it's something that someone could draw for you on a bar napkin. In fact, since the MRT guide book was written by just one cyclist, when im reading it I sometimes feel like I'm sitting at a bar with the author, while he doodles on napkins and mutters directions to me. The whole time I just nod and say "yeah, yeah, sure". Then I actually close the book and hit the road, where I quickly become confused and wished I'd paid more attention. Over and over.

It's not my fault: the ACA (Adventure Cycling Association) maps spoiled me. Their maps are so thorough, and include everything from train track crossings to tiny creeks to city limits and connecter roads. I could tell where I was, and mark my progress by which landmarks I passed. There were even elevation profiles! Ah, those were the days.

I met a fellow cyclist a few days ago, and asked him which route he was following. "The MRT," he replied, "what else would I be on? ".
"The ACA has a route called the Great Rivers Tour, I thought you might be using that one".
"Nope, I don't like ACA. Their maps are too darn expensive".

Hah. Funny he should say that. 3 months ago I would have completely agreed. But after sweating across deserts and straining up mountain passes, I can say the ACA maps were worth every penny. No map is perfect, but the ACA has come close. At the very least, the maps are a collaborative effort: a whole group of people sat in a bar and scribbled, instead of just one.

BUT, I've got the MRT book, and I'll put it to good use. The only reason I haven't given up and ordered the Great Rivers mapset is because that route swings way out into Kentucky before sliding back west into Baton Rouge. I want to just truck it, straight down the Mississippi with no nonsense. People keep telling me it can snow in October in this great state of Tennessee, and I'd like to steer clear. So far, so good: it still creeps up above 80 degrees during the day, and only down to 40 at night. Lucky me, to ride on the tailcoat of a late summer, all the way across the continent.

1 comment:

  1. Get the internet for your home business. There are many in which you can advertise your business and reach out to your customers. You can deduct a percentage of what your internet connection is costing you from your taxes. You should not write off more than half of that expenses if your family uses this connection too.play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete