Friday, October 28, 2011

A New Chain for Miya, A Fresh Outlook for Me

I rolled into Lep & Perry's place in Jackson, Louisiana two afternoons ago, thinking it would just be a one night stay before continuing on eastward. I was road-weary, having accumulated more than 4,000 miles under my tires... and feeling them starting to drag on me. I was anxious to get a break from the bicycle, and thought the only way I'd get it was to keep cruising, skip New Orleans, and get to my lovely sister's home in Florida.

I was wrong. Perry told me, before I had even removed my helmet, that they loved hosting cyclists and I could stay as long as I needed. I was only too happy to accept her invitation! After a delicious hot shower (outdoors, my favorite) and an even more delicious dinner with some friends of theirs, I completely redesigned my plan for the coming weeks.

I took a rest day yesterday, and Miya had her first visit to the bike doctor. He tightened bolts, inspected the tires, and replaced her old, grungy, stretched-out chain with a sparkly new one. It wasn't cheap, but the mechanic came highly recommended from several sources, and it felt good to give my bicycle some love after all the crap she's been carrying, riding through, dropped in, and put up with.

Today I am heading into New Orleans with Miya on a LASwift bus from Baton Rouge. It allows me to get into the city with my bicycle, hassle-free, for just $5. I'll spend a few days exploring, then head back on the same bus, bypassing the insanity of city-to-city bike travel, which I'm learning is typically a noisy, ugly, unfriendly mess. Hooray for public transportation!

I just put Miya under the bus with other people's luggage. It didn't feel right, seeing her in there sprawling over purses and suitcases. "I'm sorry, baby" I whispered, as I crawled out of the compartment. I felt anxious about leaving her there. For nearly 3 months I've had her right under me on the road or right next to me outside my tent. To stow her out of my sight for an entire bus ride feels... scary. But I'll get out at each stop to make sure no one walks off with her.

Have a great Halloween weekend, everyone.

1 comment: