Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Bike!


This was the Craigslist find I'd been waiting for: a 1981 Miyata 1000. It's a beautful 53cm all-steel bike, built for touring. It was in a great price range, too, at $650!

Two weeks ago, I took public transit into Portland for a test ride, and was head over heels. The Miyata seemed to fly over the pavement, weaving around potholes and storm drains effortlessly. It was hard to believe that this machine was older than I was. I bought it on the spot, having done some research on Miyatas previously and realizing that for the price and quality, this was a deal that I'd be stupid to pass up.

Later, I questioned the price for a such a seasoned ride. After all, it's nearly 30 years old. Just a few weeks ago I was a nonbeliever, and talked trash about touring bikes from the 80's. I thought that the Miyatas' faithful followers were just a cult of folks who missed Reagan and parachute pants. Now that I've ridden one, though, I can see the appeal. These are solid bikes, with a lean design and smooth ride... but are they worth $650?

My doubts subsided yesterday when I went into Portland to buy panniers. I watched as a bike enthusiast gaped at the story of my Miyata. "Six hundred fifty bucks?" he asked, shaking his head. "You know, you can get $1000 for those things, and not even in the best condition".


While his estimate seems high, it's nice to know at least I wasn't swindled. :)

2 comments:

  1. We rounds know how to find deals don't we ;) This post cracks me up :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liv. Sounds like quite the journey you've been on! Did you end up selling the bike ? I would love to plan something similar across Canada. Can you give any tips on long distance cycling ?

    corybrenn at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete