Friday, September 9, 2011

One of Many Great Conversations with a Stranger

It was a short (40 miles) ride from Rawlins to Saratoga yesterday. I arrived in the early afternoon, following the signs saying "Hot Springs" without having any am ambition to actually soak during the warmest part of the day. Many other folks thought this was a great idea, however, and I was entertained by the festive parade of suits and towels that sauntered by me as I ate my lunch in the shade. People chattered happily to each other as they made their way down to the river, in search of just the right blend of hot spring water and cool river water.

One man postponed his dip in the river to talk to me. We discussed possible routes to Boulder, CO ( not as simple as it may sound), his family, and the state of the world today. "Dang," he said, lighting up his second cigarette, "I'm amazed by what you're doing. When I was your age, I hitchhiked around and stuff, but I was too messed up most of the time to plan something like this. You kids are amazing."

"Yeah," I said, "Only it seems like your generation had more fun than us. I've been talking to lots of people your age,including my parents, and it seems like folks were excited to strike out and do something new, even if it was stupid. People my age tend to be nervous, and worried about debt and jobs and getting through school ... you hardly ever see hitchhikers now."

"Yeah," he agreed, nodding thoughtfully. "The sixties were good for us that way. I believe you're right about kids being different these days. I see it my own kids too: wound up tight, and already thinking about being secure. Hell, we never thought about shit like that! And you know," he said, looking at me through his glasses, "I don't know what kind of poison the media and the government fed you guys, but it does seem like a lot of people have a dark cloud over 'em these days."

Food for thought, as I pedalled against the wind and crossed the border into Colorado today.

No comments:

Post a Comment