Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bob's Farm

There's nothing quite like fresh vegetables. The satisfying crunch, the taste of all those vitamins in your mouth, the wonderful, energetic feeling you get afterwards from natural sugars... But half the fun (at least) has to be harvesting them from the garden.

Much to my dismay, the opportunities for fresh-harvested fruits & veggies on this trip have been few and far between. I managed to stop at several farm stands in Oregon, and was fortunate enough to catch a tiny farmer's market in Twin Bridges, Montana... but aside from those two states, it's been grocery store fare. Or, worse, gas station food options (Sometimes they'll have a stack of browning bananas at the check out counter, but that's if your lucky).

I had no idea when I met Pam last week that she was a Master Gardner. I didn't know she had incredible organic yeilds coming out of her backyard, didn't know she used to bicycle tour (alone!), and had no clue that she started a school in a small village in the mountains of Ecuador. All I know was that she was road-biking down the same mountain pass that I was, and she had a brightly-colored "Alaska" cycling jersey on. "Hey, that's my homestate!" I exclaimed.

As it turns out, she invited me over for sourdough pancakes on Saturday morning, and I ended up spending most of the day with her, her boyfriend Rich, and her friends Diane and Karly. In her own words, it was a "fab, FAB day". :) Here are just a few photos from our exploits to a nearby organic farm, run by Bob.



He had some of the most delicious corn I've EVER tasted, a variety called "Peaches and Cream"... for good reason. It tasted like the cob was bursting with Half 'n Half! Which may sound disgusting, but it was definitely not. :D



It's always great to make new friends on the road! Thank you to Pam for her wonderful hospitality and friendship. It was great to get my hands dirty again, and my belly full of fresh beets, corn, and apples.

Enjoy the bounty of September, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment