Sunday, August 14, 2011

Falling in Love with Eastern Oregon

Today marks the end of the second week of my journey by bicycle. I celebrated by taking a rest day with 2 new friends I've met through a mutual friend. They have a beautiful homestead here in Halfway, Oregon.

"Halfway to where?" my Mom asked on the telephone. I'm still not sure, even after spending 24 hours here. But I do know that Halfway is more than just a town to pass through on the way to somewhere else: it's got a life of it's own, and from what I saw, it's a beautiful tribute to Smalltown-America.

After a lovely morning with my hosts, I had the pleasure of attending a Benefit Auction event today in the Halfway City Park, to benefit the Halfway School District's music program. For dinner entertainment, children sawed at their fiddles, adults sang and played guitars and banjos, and one group stole the show with incredible tunes on the marimba.

As the jovial music of 6 marimbas and other percussive instruments filled the afternoon air, a little girl began to dance off to the side of the band. She jumped up and down, pointing her feet inside little tennis shoes and tossing her long golden hair over her shoulders. After the third song she became more comfortable, swinging her arms to and fro and twirling. She began to experiment, throwing her limbs around and leaping with the joyful movements that only youth can teach us.

By the end, people were beaming and applauding for her, as well as for the band. The band director stood up and thanked the girl for dancing, and she smiled shyly.

I used to be a little girl who danced next to the band, too. In my hometown they still remember me as the youngster who'd get up on stage (where i wasn't supposed to be) and jump around, showing my appreciation for the live music. And just as they did for the little girl in the park today, they always made me feel welcomed.

Thank you, Halfway, for a wonderful afternoon. Congratulations on being the kind of town that comes together to celebrate music, youth, and art. You made me feel right at home. :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this. I kinda teared up at the end. I think I have forgotten some of what being a little kid is like. That is not something I want to forget yet ;) lol

    ReplyDelete