Friday, March 23, 2012

The Aftermath... sorta

The bicycle saga ended months ago, yet somehow the adventure continues...

... I still find myself urinating in people's yards.  Frequently it's my own garden, but every now and then nature calls when I'm out walking and I can't help but use a convenient rhododendron bush for the excellent coverage it provides.

... last month I got a "thumbs-up" from a school bus driver who was thrilled that I screeched to a halt at the sight of her red stop sign swinging outwards.  Kids scrambled off the bus and crossed the street in front of me, backpacks weighing them down like over-sized turtle shells.  "You don't understand how many of  'em just keep going!"  she shouted out the window at me.  I assumed that "many of 'em" referred to all cyclists, and I grinned, swiveling my hand merrily like a princess on parade, and as an entire busload of schoolkids chugged past, I had the satisfaction of knowing that I had just been a good example on two wheels.  

... this journey has been excellent ammunition for almost every writing and research assignment that's come my way this term at Pacific University.  It's almost as if by NOT being in school, I've gotten more material to use IN school.  Hence, I am as rabid an advocate as ever for young scholars to take breaks from academia and go do something brave/spontaneous/unsettling for a semester.  It'll rock yo' world!

... if anyone's in the area, I'm using this bicycle odyssey as grounds for my Senior Capstone Project. I'll be giving a 20 minute talk on how bicycle touring connects to Permaculture on April 25th at the Pacific University Forest Grove campus.  All are welcome!  I'll keep you posted as to the time and exact classroom.

Thanks for reading, y'all, and keep your own adventures rolling!

3 comments:

  1. Hey!!! I am thinking of cycling from Vancouver down to San Francisco, and maybe further. I have never embarked on such a journey before, and whilst I am fit, I have little endurance cycling experience. Could I ask you what your kind of tour cycling experience was prior to your major trips, and how far you cycled on average towards the beginning of your journeys? Thanks for the blog, really making me consider doing some out of the box missions! Adele xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Adele! Your upcoming tour sounds marvelous. I only did a two-day tour before I embarked on the cross-country journey, but I learned as I went. It helps to stay with friends the first few weeks as much as possible, to get your moral boost for heading out on your own.
    I did no training: I'd only ridden 15 miles in one day when I started the tour. I prefer training on the road: taking it easy, only going 30 miles a day for the first week, and listening to my body. Lots of rest, food, and water, and pacing myself. It's fun to watch the mileage increase as your body gets stronger. Don't overdo it though: soreness and stiff muscles can turn an otherwise lovely day of cycling into hell on wheels.
    For more advice to beginning tourers, please check out my new website: www.pinchflatfortune.com
    I recommend the page "For the Ladies" to you, which gives some more advice and encouragement to beginners, and particularly the gals.

    Ride safe, and tailwinds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find out what the laws are in your state and county, if you need a businessplay bazaar satta king license. You can check with a lawyer or an accountant if you like, but you should also be able to find this information online. Depending on where you live, and what you are selling, you may also need to collect state sales tax. Just make sure that you know and follow all applicable laws.play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete