Saturday, November 26, 2011

Confessions of a Touring Cyclist

To the owners of the littl brick house just outside Sisters, Oregon: Yes, I did pee in your front lawn in broad daylight. You had a big, shady tree next to an empty road, and I had a full bladder.

To the young couple on bikes that I passed in Montana: I so wanted to stop and chat with you, but I had just coughed up something and had it in my mouth when I waved and smiled. I didn't want to spit it out in front of you... so I just kept pedalling.

I've become a little bitter about car commercials on TV... there's so many of them, and when have you ever seen a commercial for a brand of bike?

To thae older gentleman in the country store in Mississippi: I probably shouldn't have been so rude towards you, since you didn't see anything wrong with what you said. I have a difficult time hearing such blatant racism without getting angry.

To Idaho: I owe you an apology. When I cussed you out on the side of the road after I got that big gash in my leg from falling off the shoulder, I should have been more specific. I wasn't mad at the entire state, just Highway 12.

To Kansas: I should apologize to you, too. When I dropped some F bombs that night at the lake, I used your name but that was only because I didn't know the name of the creature that I was truly mad at: the sizable black snake that appeared eager to slither into the tent with me.

To the men in the white truck in Arkansas: I probably should have concealed myself a little better, but there wasnt any vegetation to hide behind and I had to GO. All the same, sorry for flashing y'all.

To the clerk in the New Orleans supermarket: I was so disappointed that you didn't have any pumpkins for sale on Halloween that I forgot my manners. Your suggestion to carve spaghetti squash instead worked great, and I should have said thanks.

To my Warmshowers hostess in Alabama: I ate the pink frosted cupcake on your table. It looked really good, you werent home, and I was really hungry. I moved the remaining cupcakes to fill the gap on the plate... and it was just as delicious as it looked.

To all my friends in so many states: I've been telling everyone that I did this trip "self-supported" (meaning I didn't have a sag wagon) when really I felt that I had all of you supporting me. Many, many thanks for all the great messages.

1 comment: